Sunday 12 July 2015

Colorful Sri Lankan Party


Such an honour to be invited to
a colorful party like that!
Puberty parties are very common in Sri Lanka.
When a young girl turning into a woman is a gift of God 
and needs to be celebrated.  
It is also a way of letting the villagers know 
that the young girl is now fertile and ready for marriage.   




I was delighted when a colleague of mine, beautiful Shayamala, invited me to her daughter's big and colorful party!  
A puberty ceremony is usually celebrated by inviting friends and family. 
They often come bearing wonderful gifts and are then rewarded with a grand meal.



What a beautiful girl!





My beautiful colleagues)


Flower girls tossing rose petals in the air.



I'd never seen so many colors!
Normally I don't wear  bright or vivid colors))
Here's my brave attempt!



No comments:

Post a Comment